Friday, May 20, 2005

ricebag sobriquet

Why 'Ricebag'?

When this highlander islander was born in this our nation's capital, she was a very very little islandbaby - I fit inside my daddy's palm like a little buttered nut and I never slid off! Probably because I slept through most of my real baby-baby time.

Very very premature. Born in a linen closet. Born 6 weeks early. And born ugly according to MyMama ... ugly for about 3 weeks and then I burst ranks and came up so sweet that syrup couldn't stick in my mouth.

My godfather, the completely and utterly unreliable, yet totally lovable Puff, picked me up and christened me Ricebag ... because he thought I weighed less than a kilogram bag of rice.

Once I started weighing more than a bag of rice, once I started filling out, I got the tag of TightBel, coz babysoft Ricebag was rounding up into a pretty fatty, stretching all those caterpillar babyrolls into one big round one. Puff's younger brother and my uncle, OurHero, took an 18 month-old TightBel Ricebag to university with him. OurHero was lauded all over campus as the most desirable of beaus ... add to his incredible popularity this completely irresistable little nut Ricebag and it was a totally winning combination.

Common legend has it OurHero used to carry his TightBel Ricebag everywhere ... circa late 1970s cabbage-patch. It was an intense friendship ended rather abruptly when Ricebag's daddy flew her away to another galaxy called The-Rest-Of-Our-Lives-Begins-In-Bruxelles. Since then noone was ever allowed to call Ricebag by her baby tags. Noone except OurHero.

So with some licence from you, dearest OurHero ... I am borrowing back that sobriquet ... if only for the purposes of blogging.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home