Thursday, August 11, 2005

fight crime : shoot back

My BOFF (office boss) just gave me 2 stickers : "FIGHT CRIME! SHOOT BACK!"

The BOFF is a super-shooter ... or whatever the correct terminology is for really-really-really- good shooter of hand-guns. He just won a gold medal at some international games.

Gets me thinkin' ... not so long ago just before my return to PNG I was seriously considering joining up at the rifle range just outside of Port Moresby ... I think I have a pretty good eye ... bit of experience SPOTLIGHTING out at Cumnock in country Nuuuuuuuu Saaaath Whales. Not so good at moving targets - but smashed the tin off the fence every time.

I am an unviolent person. UNVIOLENT. I don't abhor violence - I abhor needless and gratuitous violence. And I think a lot of 'violence' is needless. But I do think there is a place for it in every person and every society - just like any other aspect or capacity we have as animals. Unfortunately my society has made it a code of conduct.

And I don't like guns. I. don't. Having spent time around them up close either in PNG or in the Middle East, Central Asia etc ... I am not scared by them per se ... but by the crazy potential they have ... just to end life. end. it. Its so indiscriminating, these weapons ... they don't know of the lives they literally tear apart. The sheer violence of pulling a trigger and the damage that can do - its pretty awesome stuff. Some sick joke that a click and a kick can bring the shit on.

But I still want to learn. Just to know. For a skill. And because you never know. Bit like shu-jitsu. But then again, not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home