Wednesday, August 10, 2005

going a bit ga-ga

Please send me this. Or something I can read. Desperation lessens my sense of literary discrimination.

My 'choices' are very limited ... there is a distinct lack of books available either to borrow or buy. We have 9 public libraries in this entire country! And from what I've seen they are sadly lacking. And 2 bookshops in our capital city - both of which make a newsagents in Cunnamurra with 1992 back-issues of "The Land" look like it stocks gold. It's a very very poor situation.

Books are just not available here. New ones are harder to find than Osama BinBah. Anything newly published isn't available. And that is because books are a luxury. They don't get imported here. They don't get printed here. They are an expensive commodity in this country and just not as necessary as rice or school fees or buai.

I NEED BOOKS .... though not just any ... & I NEED BOOKSTORES ... here any will do.

I am going a bit ga-ga.

If you feel the urge ... my birthday is coming up in a month ... feel free to send something bound & surprise me at:

PO Box 5033
Boroko
NCD
Papua New Guinea

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Hello from another island baby =)

I'm browsing around blogger and thought I'd check some new blogs out. I'll try to catch up with yours- sounds very interesting!

Feel free to stop by mine!

11 August, 2005 09:29  

Post a Comment

<< Home